||Owning Company: Murray McDavid
Production Status: Recently Reopened
Water Source: Private dam
Location: Western shore of Loch Indaal
Expressions: 10, 15, and 21
scotchwhisky.com's whisky gifts and whisky selections
Bruichladdich (meaning the 'brae by the shore') was built in 1881 by Robert, William and John Gourlay Harvey. The family were established distillers from Glasgow. By 1886 the Harvey family had a share capital of £24,000 and controlled Bruichladdich, Yoker and Dundashill distilleries. At this time the distillery was re-built and became the Bruichladdich Distillery Company (Islay) Ltd. This company ran the distillery until it was forced to close during the inter-war years.
By the late 1930s, due to expansive American investment in Scotch whisky, Joseph Hobbs was able to buy and re-open the distillery. After this point it was quickly passed to Associated Scottish Distillers Ltd, then to Ross and Coulter, A.B. Grant's company Bruichladdich Proprietors Ltd, and finally to Invergordon distillers, part of the Whyte and Mackay group.
The Distillery Today
In 1994 the distillery ceased production
|Ardbeg | Bowmore | Caol Ila | Bruichladdich
Bunnahabhain | Lagavulin | Laphroaig | Port Ellen